Thursday, April 23, 2009

What do you do for a living?

I always find that question so hard to answer.

The "day job" is eBay, right now 100 auctions, 160-or-so eBay store items. This entails laundry, ironing, repairs, cleaning, photographing, measuring, researching, writing descriptions, listing, invoicing, packaging, and shipping. Then, start all over again. Oh, and find the stuff to sell in the first place. Since I specialize in vintage items, there is no wholesaler to call!
The "night job" is jewelry, and beadmaking, building inventory for shows and etsy and the studio tour.
Then there is all the day to day business of life. Laundry and gardening and tidying up our messes and paperwork . Stuff. But I need to have some fun too, right?
So just look at this delectable yarn I bought yesterday:

Noro Blossom. I knit because I love the process itself. It's so relaxing, and meditative, and at the end, you have something to show for it. I used to knit incredibly complex Fair Isles and stuff with 40 different kinds of yarn in one piece. Now I keep it super simple and have quite a remarkable collection of scarves! This yarn will be made into a tapered cowl with finger fringe along the bottom. I think. Probably! All is subject to change. The lovely fine cashmere yarn I bought last fall to make into a lace knit cowl morphed into a soft drapey rib knit cowl which can be wrapped around the neck twice, or three times around the head for an arty hat. I kept making mistakes in the lace pattern which meant having to rip back the incredibly fine yarn, and finally said "To hell with it, just knit". Much healthier.

I spent some pleasant time selecting bits for a new Magpie bracelet. The theme for this one is something like "Silk Road" or "Chinese Market". All the bits are vintage, except for the turquoise glass beads which I think are probably only about 20 years old.

There are vintage carved cinnabar beads, cloissone, wonderful old Czech molded glass elephants and Buddhas. A vintage jade elephant. A 1930s celluloid peacock. 20s Czech amber colored satin glass. Carved Peking glass. Speckled green Peking glass. Some precious rock crystal beads, heavy and icy. Some vaseline glass. Amethyst colored Peking glass. A carved ivory elephant. Carved bone beads, and a few bone colored hollow carved celluloid beads. Some old Asian silver. 2 1930s celluloid "Immortals". I know I have some Chinese coins somewhere, they'll turn up. And I'll find more goodies to add. Perhaps I should make some tiny glass teapots for this one too. What do you think?

Still playing with the "Prismacolor Patina" concept and Indian 3-D holy cards. I find the colored patina to be very delicate so maybe I need to put more layers of sealer on them when they are done. The Kali one lost a bit of the finish as I was riveting it together. Two views of the same pendants:
The backs:


That reminds me of a taxi driver I had a few years ago. I was waiting at the main, front entrance of my building, but he, unknowing, went around the building to the back entrance. After waiting for a while, he decided to come around to the front, and I hopped in. He was a very nice East Indian gentleman, and he apologized in his beautifully accented English, saying "I am very sorry, I was looking at your backside"!

No comments: